Pages

Sunday, April 3, 2011

THE FUNCTIONS OF AN INTERCESSOR Pt 1 & 2

[No one needs to tell us HOW to intercede we ARE intercession, as we walk with Christ and allow His Spirit to work and shine through us; Who by His very nature became an advocate for the weaker. No, none of us need a 'how to' manual because we ARE the how to manuals. What truly astounds me is the variety of individuals called to such a daunting task as intercession in these last days. For without the function of the prayer warrior, we, the church are reduced to a powerless religion, at best. Though all of this is true, I thought it would be a blessing to walk through the lives of individuals just like us. Some may believe our founding forefathers were greater than us, the church of today, but I say, though they were bolder and had more courage and they knew what they believed, where we often fail, we all are the same to God. Some are called to be apostles, prophets, preacher, teachers, evangelists, ‘for the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ:’ (Eph 4:12)   I believe, God wants us to know that they are no better than us, only different. When we truly believe that, we will begin to walk in the boldness and courage God intended us to. These 'functions' below are known by some, and bring clarity to others, my intention in sharing them with you is to bring us back to our roots for which we were created. I heard a wise saying once, ‘how can we know where we are going if we don’t know where we’ve been?’]

There are many examples of intercessors in the Bible, and they walked with the favor to impact and change God’s heart. Consider the following role models and their characteristics:

[I] THE FUNCTIONS OF AN INTERCESSOR

TO RISK & SACRIFICE

1) Moses was willing to be blotted out of God’s book. (Ex 32:32) [Moses came down from the mountain top, with the very words of God written in stone to find that the people had become corrupt worshiping at the feet of a false god. Same holds true today, especially in America. Multiple Bibles in almost every household, churches on every street, (or close to it). But week after week we still are seen evangelising ourselve while our neighbors die in their sins. Are we willing to fast and pray for not just our families but our churches and our cities?
2) Abraham was willing to suffer God’s possible displeasure by negotiating Him down to 10 godly men in Sodom & Gomorrah. (Genesis 18:22). [When everyone around you gives up, are you still before the Lord? I for one, have buckled under the load, like some of you, but God has been merciful..He has called me to prayer walk every day until I see a quickening into the lives of men, in my family, my church, then my city, (Acts 13:44), but quite frankly I've been almost too tired to do my dishes at night, let alone put on my walking shoes and pray for a people that are headstrong and rebellious....But, still God becons me...
3) When king David disobeyed by taking a census, he was willing to be destroyed in order to seek safety for his people. (1 Chron 21:17) Wow, I can't imagine praying that a plague would fall on me because of something I've done to stay God's hand of judgement on my people. Maybe, I'm far too selfish for that? Maybe I've been to 'modernized. Maybe both. (see 2 Samuel 24:17)
4) Daniel was willing to talk with God when He was very angry. (Dan 9:16)  When I read this text, I thought about America. How angry God must be at her for all of idoltry, worshiping at the god of Self ridding every trace of the God who made who great. Wondering when we will find ourselves in ruin like the Roman Empire. "Thank You God for the Daniels of today in the wicked place in which we were born. Sustain in the days to come, oh God I pray."
5) Jesus was willing to become sin and lay down His life so that others could find forgiveness. (Isa 53:12)
6) The Centurion was willing to approach authority as well as subject himself to it. (Matt 8:5)
7) Martha dared to risk her friendship with Jesus to challenge His decision of delay. (John 11:21-22)
8) A father risked public exposure, fear of man’s opinions, and disappointment for the sake of interceding for his possessed son. (Mark 9:17)
9) The Nobleman risked his self-sufficient pride. He could not help his son but he knew who could. He also risked public exposure and reputation. (John 4:49)
10) Stephen was willing to face the murderous rage of a crowd and asked God to forgive them. (Acts 7:59)
11) Esther was willing to perish at risk of defending her people to the king. At the very least she was willing to face a life of ill-favor, isolation and banishment from the king’s court. (Esther 4:16)
12) David as a young boy was willing to face death from Goliath for the sake of Israel. At the very least he was willing to face humiliation, failure and defeat. (1 Sam 17:37)

3 comments: