Pages

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Journaling

Journaling> It's 4:30 am and my 8 week old grandson is sleeping in the other room. When I left home, I had something completely different, but, as I got ready to post this, the Holy Spirit overcame and quickened me to the value of journaling. Oh I promise to get back to the Making Disciples Series, but, without my notes there is no way I could do it justice.

The Value of Journaling: Why do I journal? I'm one of 'those' girls who had a diary...In fact, it was my most prized possession, and year after year, I had to have a diary, (with a lock, of course).

Then in my late teens, I stumbled and fell into sin. Not long after that I met and married my first husband.
 
For years, I was consumed by thie vortex of dysfuntion and sin chosing not only to do my own thing but also refusing to record the events. It was hard enough to live through each day without having a record of it. But what I didn't realize was, at that time, is that was when I needed to journal the most. Where else could I go to be honest with my feelings, that yes, in the midst of all of this my feelings are still important, though I should never be ruled by them. Secondly, I have found that journaling brings clarity in the midst of caos.

But it wasn't until many years later until I started again, with a simple gratitude list. Finding ten things I was grateful for every day. (that was a big stretch for me because at that time my father just passed away and my youngest daughter was addicted to drugs).

From that time on, I never looked back. What journaling has taught me is to stay focused on what really is important, such as giving praise for Who God is, not just for what He can do, also, the value of keeping a record of what the Lord has done which increases my faith. And lastly, it helps me get out all those negative feelings that hinders my walk with Him BEFORE I lift my petitions to a holy God. Negative feeling and thoughts cloud our ability to effectively communicate with our Lord and enables us to forgive from our hearts.

For those who don't joural, I hope this gives you some food for thought, for those who do, I sure like to get your thoughts on how this practice has helped in you and your Christian life.

No comments:

Post a Comment