Pages

Thursday, March 31, 2011

Mom's Diary

Second Installment:
March 31, 2011
I Remember When

"I was born January 16, 1928 at home in Pontiac Michigan.
I was the 4th daughter of Charles Erwin and Gladys Goodson.
There was 4 years between each of us girls and my parents used to say, “We had kids in school for 30 years!”
My oldest sister was at least 14-15 years my senior. Mother used to tell of the time when Ida Mae, my oldest sister, walking home from school one day, (with her school “boyfriend”).  When I saw her coming I ran to meet her, but only having my diaper on. I was not content to just run to her, I took my diaper off, swinging it over my head hollering, “Idie-Idie-Idie!” Naturally she was mortified. Mother said I was so chubby you couldn’t tell if I was a boy or a girl which added to my sister’s horror.
My family moved to California in 1930 and 2 years later my youngest sister, Oma Lee, was born.
My earliest remembrance was when I was in kindergarten; one of the boys in my class took a comb from a girl’s desk. (Now this comb was made of celluloid-which is equivalent to our plastic today).  B'eing or ornery and not wanting to give the comb back threw it behind the radiator that was used to heat the room.
It didn’t take long for the comb to start melting and the odor was bad that they had to evacuate that whole end of the building."
MLA/emm

No comments:

Post a Comment