Pages

Thursday, March 10, 2011

Making Disciples: Acts Chapter 3

 Acts 3> 1Now Peter and John were(A) going up to the temple at(B) the hour of prayer,(C) the ninth hour.[a] 2And a man(D) lame from birth was being carried,(E) whom they laid daily at the gate of the temple that is called the Beautiful Gate(F) to ask alms of those entering the temple. 3Seeing Peter and John about to go into the temple, he asked to receive alms. 4And Peter directed his gaze at him, as did John, and said, "Look at us."


'Look at us!' A far cry from, 'I don't know the man!’ (see Luke 22:54-62). As I read these three words, I was taken back at the change. Though I’ve read this before, something was different this time. For God’s spirit quickened me to the need of not just walking with Jesus Christ, but allowing Him flow through every part of our being, for that’s where courage lies. Oh, Peter was saved, but he still was a coward. It wasn’t until the Holy Spirit filled him with power that this obnoxious servant of our Lord was transformed into a bold witness.
When we witness to people, or see someone sick, or in need is our first reaction “look at us?”  Or is it, “hi, my name is……,” in a mousey tone?
Hey, I’m just as guilty as the next man in this area. When I witness, I seek God’s face before I reach out because I never know who I’m talking to and I believe its important to be sensitive especially with all the Christian bashing going on. But, I have to wonder where our Peter’s are and our Paul’s; were they special and unique to the forming of the Church?   Or, are they examples for us to follow today?  In the last two thousand years have we, the Body of Christ, put God in a box which has hindered His move in our time?
Or have we grown lazy and/or fearful, 'will witness if it doesn't bring me pain!' The American condition, comes back to self. The early church was so passionate about Jesus Christ that they were willing to die for him and many in other countries are facing that very thing, persecution and death. Oh we have it easy, but there may come a day when it won't always be so.

Ephesians 5:15-16 (English Standard Version) “ Look carefully then how you walk, not as unwise but as wise, 16(B) making the best use of the time, because(C) the days are evil. “

No comments:

Post a Comment